Choosing the right psychologist for you is like choosing anyone you want to have a relationship with. It’s personal and unique. Therefore there is no one person who is right for everyone and it may take some time before you find the right person for you.
But what you can use as a guide is to get the easy bit in place first.
1. Make sure the person you look for is qualified and registered. In Australia psychologists are registered with the Psychology Board of Australia and you can go to their website to check if the person you have in mind is registered there.
2. They know what they’re talking about – got knowledge and experience of the area you need help with.
3. The person is a good listener and can understand where you’re coming from.
Now for the more intangibles.
4. You like them. Like any relationship, whether it is a personal one or a professional one you need to like them.
5. You feel safe with this person and feel you can tell them everything you need to tell them, that it is a confidential service. Having said that there are some circumstances under which psychologists will have to report. Talk to your psychologist about this if you have any concerns.